Meetings of the Storytelling and Narratives Group


(Frederikke Oldin) #1

So. Let’s get organised. This is where we plan meetings. And probably briefs from previous meetings will also go here. Let’s get cracking!

First meeting of the Storytelling & Narratives Group is on 10th of October from 1-3 pm (CEST).
Members of the group have received an invitation by e-mail. If anyone else wish to join, pls shoot me a message;)

And sorry for the many postings below - we’re just getting the hang of this lovely forum:grin:


(Frederikke Oldin) #2

So, this is kind of a test. Wanted to create a topic ‘inside’ the narratives Forum. But have I? Is this topic visible to all or just to the members of the Narrative group?


(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #3

Hi @Foldin, you have published it in the right place and made it visible to all members (and also to the public, because your category is public).

I give you a further tip, which is particularly helpful when you want to make an announcement such as the one for this meeting: if you make a mention to the group, in this case @narratives (just doing it through this message now), everyone will directly receive an e-mail notification. You can of course do the same with the @ mentions to individual people instead of groups.

I wish you all a nice meeting!


(Ahac Meden) #4

I can confirm this works as I have been receiving a bunch of notification emails about activities on agora :slight_smile:


(Frederikke Oldin) #6

@narratives

Meeting #2 of our group will be on Tuesday Nov. 13th at 1PM CEST - 2.30 PM at the very latest.
Please access the agenda and minutes here: https://pad.degrowth.net/narratives_agenda+minutes_20181113?view
and add to them if you like.
The link for the meeting is also in the pad (same link).

Best!
Frederikke


(sophia) #7

Thanks to Frederikke, Monu and Wojtek on joining today’s call.

Main points from the minutes

  • Sophia to take over as chair for the next 3 months

  • Even if we are not able to always tackle the big degrowth questions there is value in us coming together to explore narratives around degrowth, discuss some of its challenges and our own personal stories. Also to share learnings, published work, provoking articles to grow the knowledge of the group

  • ACTION:Attendees to share 1 link to something they’ve read, written, been inspired by, questioned around the wider degrowth movement/narrative - with the aim to gradually build up a pool of resources and knowledge for the wider group.

  • Find the rest of the minutes here: https://pad.degrowth.net/narratives_agenda+minutes_20181113?both

Here’s the Doodle for next month’s meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/wrxwnc5xguxxgdtu - please complete ASAP so we can confirm the date of the call.

Thanks everyone
Sophia


(Ahac Meden) #8

Hi,

this is not normal for me to not attend a meeting or at least say I cannot. I’ve had a last-minute workshop and just finished and realised that it our meeting was already over by a long shot.

Just an update, we had Francoise and Anitra here in Ljubljana on Saturday for the first event titled Living degrowth and it started to make sense that it is about stories (how we as persons, groups, communities and societies live degrowth) and narratives (how degrowth as an idea and movement is living).

I’ve done the doodle and will get back with more about Living degrowth in 2019 by end of this year.

Humbly, Ahac


(sophia) #9

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Frederikke, Monu, Wojtek and Ahac on joining today’s call. It felt really invigorating to hear how everyone is thinking and ‘living degrowth’ (to use Ahac’s phrase) in their own ways across Europe.

Main points from the minutes

ACTION: Here’s the Doodle for next month’s meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/b6qst5e3gt9mzsdd - please complete by Dec 21st so we can confirm the date of the call.

Thanks everyone

Sophia


(sophia) #10

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Frederikke, Monu and Wojtek on joining today’s call. Great to see how degrowth is seeping into many of our activities and a productive brainstorming session to support Wojtek’s upcoming workshop with youth.

Main points from the minutes

ACTION: Here’s the Doodle for next month’s meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/cyqvfkzw52feha4w - please complete by Jan 31st so we can confirm the date of the call.

Thanks,

Sophia


Building narratives at the summer school
(jon r) #11

Hi, it seems the calendaring has converged on February 19. May it be useful to prepare a new conversation thread with details and an invitation to that one?


(Frederikke Oldin) #12

Yes - is 19th, this coming tuesday, our meeting day @sophia?


(François) #13

oh no I missed it!!! :frowning:

please mention the summerschool https://summerschool.degrowth.org/
this is important there is this week of narrative building.

Also i am really looking for people ready to make films at Can Decreix, see candecreix.degrowth.net
by the way why don’t i receive the messages?

Francois


(sophia) #14

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Frederikke, Monu and Josh on joining today’s call. On record high temperatures for many of us in Europe today it felt especially timely to discuss how the climate is impacting our lives. Degrowth continues to weave itself into our lives in big and small ways.

Main points from the minutes

  • What will become really important on the other side of degrowth? Eco-grief and building resilience

  • What narratives can tackle climate apathy?

  • Individual acts of extending degrowth into new places in Slovenia, Sweden and Denmark by the group - well done and keep it up!

  • Upcoming Degrowth Summer School in Barcelona: June 23rd – July 5th July 2019

  • Find the rest of the minutes and a growing number of resources here: https://pad.degrowth.net/narratives_agenda+minutes_20181113?both

ACTION: Here’s the Doodle for next month’s meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/fvcs5dvqeq7d2y4n - please complete by March 5th so we can confirm the date of the call.

Thanks,

Sophia Cheng


(sophia) #15

Another lively conversation with some really interesting initiatives mentioned. We added plenty of links to the resources section so take a look.

Monu has offered to kindly host the next session as Sophia will be participating in XR activities in London (she might try and beam in live)

Main points from the minutes

  • We were all witness to #FridaysForFuture climate strikes at the weekend and inspired by the youth and their messaging
  • Destructive direct action vs Constructive direct action - really we need both if we are to transition through successfully
  • XR activity taking place in April, a few of us will be participating
  • Despair, humour, what is motivating when it comes to climate change and degrowth?
  • Find the rest of the minutes and a growing number of resources here: https://pad.degrowth.net/narratives_agenda+minutes_20181113?both

ACTION: Here’s the Doodle for next month’s meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/zqqxqdqd4bhdpzqp - please complete by April 1st so we can confirm the date of the call.

Thanks,
Sophia


(sophia) #16

A few of us had a safe space to get stuff off our chest on today’s call - frustrations with old friends who are living in cognitive dissonance, or green thinkers who are acting in an exclusive way. What is really notable is how we are all living degrowth in our own ways.

Vocabulary for Degrowth (book) is now out in Slovenian and the Polish version is underway!

Main points from the minutes

  • We are all witnessing a shift in people’s tone and conversation around the climate crisis
  • Creative and practical expressions of degrowth
  • Extinction Rebellion has certainly put the climate crisis on the map in the UK - how did it get picked up in other countries?
  • On an individual level - how can we make a mindset shift from neo-liberal individualism to more collectivist - Wojtek and Sophia have added some useful links to papers and youtube videos to explore this further
  • Global Degrowth Day is coming up on June 1st - are you doing anything in your local area?
  • Find the rest of the minutes and a growing number of resources here: https://pad.degrowth.net/narratives_agenda+minutes_20181113?both

Something for Frederikke on future narratives :wink:

ACTION: Here’s the Doodle for next month’s meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/8s7635u9xrt3y5b9 - please complete by May 1st so we can confirm the date of the call.